Lilypie First Birthday tickers>

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Summer Time

Being a teacher has it advantages (and disadvantages). The biggest advantage (in my opinion) is SUMMER. This is the first summer in a long time that I have not had many commitments. Last summer, I was in class most of June working on my EDS degree. I graduated in May so no classes for me this June.

Summer is my favorite time of year. I actually like the hot weather (yes, I'm crazy). I love the long days, barbeque, grilling (anything and everything) and most importantly homemade PEACH ice cream. My husband and I LOVE to grill, cook, bake, eat and entertain. Today is Father's Day, which means, my daddy is coming over here for dinner (usually Sunday night dinners are at his house). My brother and his girlfriend will also be joining us. Unfortunately my evil step sister (it is a term of endearment) and her husband live in South Carolina AND work at a church, so they will not be here. Our menu tonight consists of Cuban burgers, potato salad, deviled eggs, baked beans and PEACH ice cream.

Another reason I love summer is that I have a chance to read. I love to read but don't get around to it much during the school year. I had a fun day on Friday when I went to Target and made a LONG list of books that I would like to check out from the library. Currently I'm reading Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes. It's an okay read... not a favorite (so far anyway). But it is entertaining. I also have Double Cross by James Patterson checked out. That is a book I will read in one day.

For those of you that know me well, you know that I also LOVE movies. Summer is a time for me to catch up on movies that I wanted to see but haven't yet. My husband isn't so much a movie person. He will watch one with me (at home), though he'd rather watch the Braves. It's very rare that I get him to actually take me to a movie. (I do go with other friends). We are members of Netflix, which is quite nice. Currently I have 3 "girly" movies. Well, 2 girly movies and 1 kid one that I've wanted to see. I have "Chicken Little" to view. Zach Braff does the voice for Chicken Little and I LOVE Zach Braff (big fan of Scrubs). I also have "No Reservations" and "Atonement." I will have to let you know what I think of these, as I watch them this week.

My final reason (for now) of why I like summer... staying up late. IF you know me well, you know that I like (and need) my sleep. I'm a very grumpy person without at least 8 hours. I love to stay up late and summertime allows me to stay up with my husband and then also sleep in and get my 8 hours.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I like summer too. I don't like being sweaty, but I'd much rather be in hot weather than cold weather. And you're right - peach ice cream is the best! I don't like it when it's pre-made, but the homemade kind is YUMMY!

Drena said...

We have a lot in common. I am not a big reader, but I love love to stay up late and sleep in! I too am grumpy and sometimes Adam will ask me if I need a nap. I'm assuming that is when I am especially grumpy! I also love the long days. :) Have you seen Juno? Highly recommend. That is the best movie I have seen this year.

Meredith said...

No, but I wanted to see it... Thanks for reminding me to put it on my Netflix list!!! :)

BooSheep said...

hmm...I wish I could agree with you. You made some compelling arguments, but I don't think I can be swayed. I can't stand hot weather, but I do like not having to work everyday and ice-cream! :)

Shelley