Lilypie First Birthday tickers>

Friday, May 30, 2008

Everything is bigger in TEXAS!

We just returned home from about a week's vacation in Austin, Texas. We began our vacation with the Capital of Texas triathlon. This is the triathlon that Chris has been training with Team in Training. He was a mentor this year and two of his mentees participated in this triathlon (the others are participating in Iron Girl at the end of June). This team was smaller than the last team he participated in, but it was still a fun team. Saturday was full of pre-race activities. We went to the Pasta Party, where Meg Brown addressed the (TNT) Teams from all around. She is a phenomenal speaker and also a cancer survivor. She participated in the race, as well. Sunday morning, we woke up VERY early. Chris was supposed to start at 7:39, but his wave did not start until 8:15. I watched from the side of the river until he got out of the water. I moved close to where the bike in/out was so that I could see him on the bike. He had a personal record of 1:11 on the bike, which is awesome! He returned to the transition area and started out on the run. By this time, it was long past hot and humid. As he raced, I kept an eye on the time... when I realized it was around 11 and that he was soon to finish and he was going to finish in under 3 hours, I got SO excited for him. And he finished, in 2:56!!! Our time with TNT ended at the Victory Party, which was at our hotel. It was early (4-7), so we decided to take our party to Shady Grove.

The rest of the week, we spent walking around Austin. We ate LOTS and LOTS of good Mexican food. My favorite was a taco stand called Torchy's. We had breakfast tacos there three days in a row. I discovered bottled sweet tea that was YUMMY. I'm not one for bottled tea (in fact, I hate Nestea), but this was good. Wednesday, we drove to San Antonio for the day. While we were there, we toured the Alamo, ate lunch on the Riverwalk and took a boat tour of Riverwalk. We had a fabulous time, but I am glad to be home!
Enjoy our pictures!!!


5 comments:

BooSheep said...

You have some beautiful pictures! What a great way to start the summer. I have never been to Austin, TX before, but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Shelley

mk said...

way to go Chris!! sounds like y'all had a great time! enjoy your summer.

Unknown said...

His running adventures are taking you guys to some cool places!! Great pictures! Glad you were able toturn it into a mini-vacation!

Rebecca said...

Tell Chris congratulations on his awesome time! Sounds like yall had a fun trip!

Merri said...

I love the way you did your photos...how do you do that? Sounds like y'all had a lot of fun :-) Thanks for the super sweet post you left on my blog...that was so encouraging to me :-)